North Kern was formed in 1935 pursuant to the State “Water Storage District Act” principally to address lowering groundwater levels associated with the expanding use of deep well turbine pumps in the District and adjacent areas. The District’s primary objective was (and is) to support “economic pumping lifts” for landowners within the District through the importation of surface water supplies (principally from the Kern River).
Subsequent to its formation, ground-breaking studies were conducted to evaluate the potential to replenish the groundwater basin through the application of large volumes of water in dedicated recharge basins. These studies were used to site the District’s recharge ponds which were constructed subsequent to completion of the District’s “project report” in 1950. These studies also established a basis for the future development of “groundwater banking” programs in other areas of Kern County and the State.